04 Feb World Cancer Day 2019
Stand Up To Cancer
Today is World Cancer Day 2019. Cancer Research UK describes World Cancer Day as a day to unite in the fight against cancer – a day to join together in the fight against over 200 types of cancer. Cancer is one of the biggest diseases that we face in the world today. For instance, it’s been found that 1 in 2 people in the UK born after 1960 will be diagnosed with some form of cancer during their lifetime.
However, it’s also been found that around 4 in 10 UK cancer cases every year could be prevented, that’s more than 135,000 every year. This can be broken down into 112,000 cases in England , around 13,000 cases in Scotland, around 7,200 cases in Wales and around 3,500 cases in Northern Ireland every year that could all be prevented. A person’s risk of developing cancer depends on many factors, including age, genetics and their lifestyle. For example, smoking is the largest cause of cancer within the UK which can be prevented by a lifestyle change.
What measures are you taking to lower your risks of getting cancer? It’s time to stand up to cancer and start changing our lifestyles to lower our risk. Simple changes can make a huge impact on your health and lower your risk massively. Above all, your health matters.
Below are some stats from Cancer Research UK:
- Every four minutes someone in the UK dies from cancer
- There are more than 360,000 new cancer cases in the UK every year, that’s nearly 990 every day (2013-2015)
- In males in the UK, there were around 183,000 new cancer cases in 2015
- In females in the UK, there were around 177,000 new cancer cases in 2015
- Every two minutes someone in the UK is diagnosed with cancer
- Breast, prostate, lung and bowel cancers together accounted for over half of all new cancer cases in the UK in 2015
- Each year more than a third of all cancer cases in the UK are diagnosed in people aged 75 and over (2013-2015)
- Incidence rates for all cancers combined in the UK are highest in people aged 85 to 89 (2013-2015)
- There are around 164,000 cancer deaths in the UK every year, that’s around 450 every day (2014-2016)
- Cancer accounts for more than a quarter (28%) of all deaths in the UK (2016)
- In males in the UK, there were around 88,200 cancer deaths in 2016
- In females in the UK, there were around 77,900 cancer deaths in 2016
- Around a fifth of all cancer deaths are from lung cancer
- Lung, bowel, breast and prostate cancers together accounted for almost half of all cancer deaths in the UK in 2016
- Each year more than half of all cancer deaths in the UK are in people aged 75 and over (2014-2016)
- Mortality rates for all cancers combined in the UK are highest in people aged 90+ (2014-2016)
Randox Health: What we do
Randox Health provides the world’s most comprehensive full-body health screening packages available. Our patented technology enables 100s of individual tests to be carried out from your sample, giving you truly unrivalled knowledge about your health now and in the future. Now is the time to start looking at your health.
Your Health matters to us! Randox Health Packages provide more than just a health check or assessment. We are committed to improving healthcare worldwide by identifying and preventing illness and, in the process, improving overall health and wellbeing. With 4 in 10 cancer cases in the UK every year found to be preventable, now is the time to take control of your health. We can help you improve your lifestyle and health choices to ensure a healthier future. Don’t wait to change your lifestyle – act now.
This month we are focusing on heart heart, so make sure to look out for our upcoming blogs with information about how to keep your heart healthy! If you’re worried about your heart health or have a family history of heart disease, contact a member of our team today for information on how we could help you.