13 Aug The Benefits of hydration to your health!
How does being Hydrated help you?
Does being hydrated actually matter? And if so, why does it? Well Yes it really matters. For instance, according to the NHC drinking the correct levels of fluid on a daily basis is an important part of kidney health. Dehydration, especially chronic dehydration, results in the production of urine which has a higher concentration of minerals and waste products. This can lead to the formation of crystals which can affect kidney function and contribute to certain kidney diseases, such as kidney stones. This can be very uncomfortable and painful but is avoidable. Here’s some facts about water in our bodies:
- Water accounts for about 60% of an adult’s body weight and 75% of an infant’s.
- It performs crucial roles in our body such as carrying nutrients to cells, helping to remove waste products from our major organs and helping to regulate our body’s temperature.
- It is constantly being lost from our body, not only through urine and faeces, but also through our skin and breath. Our brain is 73% water, so poor hydration can also affect how it functions.
- Studies show that dehydration reflected in a 1-2% reduction in body weight can reduce our ability to concentrate, our cognitive and physical performance, and increase feelings of aggression or irritation.
- We don’t have a real water storage in our body, so it must be replaced regularly by water from our diet.
According to the NHS good hydration prevents:
- Urinary tract infections. (UTIs)
- Dizziness that can lead to falls.
- Kidney stones.
- Pressure ulcers/skin conditions.
- Poor health.
It’s important to make sure you get the right amount of water to stay hydrated. Its recommended by NHS to drink six to eight glasses of water a day, however this should be increased when exercising or in hot conditions. Doing small things like making sure you stay hydrated can have a lot of benefits for your health. At Randox Health we offer a comprehensive look at your health giving you the best opportunity to take control of your health now and in the future.
Take control of your health and #Extendyourlife. If you feel like you’ve been neglecting your health or are concerned about your future Contact a member of our team today to find out more information or check out our packages here!