15 Oct The inner workings of a racing driver’s body and mind for Goodwood SpeedWeek
14th October 2020
Goodwood SpeedWeek will bring fans closer to the action than ever before with a one-off digital technology playground that viewers can experience from the comfort of their own homes – and Randox will feature as part of the event’s Technology Showcase with a documentary showing the inner workings and hidden brilliance of a racing driver’s mind and body under stress.
Being shown as part of the event finale, on Sunday 18 October, The Technology Showcase will celebrate the future of automotive technology with demonstrations of some of the latest innovations that are transforming the world of motorsport and mobility in front of our eyes today.
Millions of spectators will be able to enjoy 360-degree audio-visual displays, take a virtual paddock tour, use chatroom functionality to question their favourite drivers, and interact with the action through quizzes, polls, competitions and a ‘podium predictor’.
Goodwood Speedweek, which runs from 16-18 October 2020, is the most ambitious event to ever take place at the Goodwood Motor Circuit with more than 12 miles of high-speed fibre cabling being laid and 49 high-definition cameras installed, including 19 trackside cameras and 15 live on-boards. A television crew of 180 operators will help bring the action to life with 10 presenters and two TV studios required to cover all the action.
Each day will be dedicated to celebrating the automotive industry’s past, present and future – bringing together the best elements of the Festival of Speed and Revival using the latest technology.
This will be reflected in the iconic Goodwood Shootout presented by Mastercard on Sunday 18 October, with a winner-takes-all one-lap competition between some of the fastest machines in motorsport across the years, including hypercars, single-seaters and prototype sports cars.
The Duke of Richmond said;
“Technology is a core feature of Goodwood motorsport events and we strive to showcase the most innovative and forward-thinking mobility innovations. At Goodwood SpeedWeek we were presented with a unique opportunity to go one step further, quite literally placing digital right at the heart of the experience. It’s allowed us to raise the bar even higher, offering a once in a lifetime, interactive experience that is accessible to viewers anywhere in the world.”
The Racing Mind (Saturday 17th October)
In partnership with Randox, Goodwood Speedweek will show viewers the inner workings and hidden brilliance of a racing driver’s mind and body under stress.
The Technology Showcase (Sunday 18th October)
- The first autonomous lap: Einride will undertake an autonomous lap on the Goodwood Motor Circuit including a behind-the-scenes look at how it was achieved.
- F1 Technology: Before taking to the track to celebrate 70 years of F1, there will be a live grid walk of cars charting the evolution of technology in F1 through the ages.
- Car vs Bike vs Drone: An all-electric race between the Virgin Formula E, Electric Harley and Drone racer on the Driftkhana course.
- Jet Suit: A look behind-the-scenes of Gravity and how you train to become a jet suit pilot, followed by a unique race between three jet racers.
- Ford Electric Mustang: The all-electric Mach-E Mustang 1400 prototype will take to the track for a drift demonstration.
- Sennheiser: An interactive demonstration of 360-degree binaural audio, live from the heart of the event.
Fans can sign up for alerts at: https://www.goodwood.com/motorsport/goodwood-speedweek/
As well as streaming options through goodwood.com and social media, SpeedWeek will be broadcast live on ITV1 and ITV4 during the event;
- Friday 16th Oct – 16:30-18:30 (ITV4)
- Saturday 17th Oct – 14:00-16:00 (ITV4)
- Sunday 18th Oct – 14:00-16:00 (ITV1)
A selection of highlight programmes the week after the event on ITV4;
- First Glance – Wednesday 21st Oct – 21:30
- Highlights 1 – Thursday 22nd Oct – 20:00
- Highlights 2 – Thursday 22nd Oct – 21:00
Stay up to date with all future announcements and on-event action with the official hashtag #gwspeedweek across Goodwood social channels:
- @GoodwoodRRC (Twitter)
- Goodwood Road & Racing (Facebook)
- @goodwoodrrc (Instagram)